6 Advantages of Using Small Telescope for Beginners
Do the stars impress you whenever you look at the sky? Astronomy is a fun hobby for all ages. And it’s not necessarily pricey, especially if you pick a small telescope.
This article describes why beginners should focus on compact-sized devices. It discusses the advantages small telescopes provide for someone who’s never used these products before. Keep reading to discover why this unit can be a smart investment!
What Are the Main Advantages of Using a Telescope?
These devices helped the scientists to reveal many things. They learned about the universe’s age and confirmed that black holes exist. But why should an amateur get a telescope?
Here are the crucial reasons to consider acquiring this product:
- It’s your window into the universe. You can see the Moon with the naked eye. But what if you could see the famous seas of this satellite better? This is an example of things to witness with a telescope.
- You can observe amazing phenomena. From lunar eclipses to asteroids passing by, the fun will never stop.
- It’s a fun hobby for an entire family. Observing the space is entertaining for adults and children. It’s perfect to bond and spend quality time together.
- It’s a long-term investment. A telescope is a durable unit that delivers great value for money. A single device can work well for decades.
Why Should Beginners Use a Small Telescope?
The market offers many telescope models. For a newcomer, that’s a blessing and a curse. You might have problems finding your way among all those brands and units. The main reasons to pick a small model are below.
1. A Light and Compact-Sized Unit
Portability is a crucial advantage offered by telescope small units. Here are the major factors that contribute to the ease of transport:
- These telescopes can only weigh several pounds. It depends on the unit, but they belong to the category of light products.
- Their size is compact. That implies you can easily fit them in a trunk. Transferring it to another section of a backyard is simple. It’s also convenient if you are observing the sky from a park.
- There’s no additional heavy equipment. As a beginner, you probably don’t need accessories and extra items. These units often come without them, which adds to the overall portability.
2. All Telescope Types Are Available
These devices come in three main categories. All types offer compact-sized units, which means it comes down to your preference. Here is a short description of the available options.
These devices use integrated lenses. They capture the light as it passes the housing and delivers an image. The tube and the glass need to be proportionate. That’s why large units are often expensive. However, a small refractor telescope is affordable and great for beginners. Its portability and compactness are impressive.
You’ll find mirrors instead of lenses in these products. They “reflect” the light at different angles. That’s how the product got its name. Their main advantage is that they aren’t as sensitive to chromatic aberrations. That means entry-level devices could display colors more accurately.
Their task is to combine previous categories. You’ll notice mirrors and lenses in a single construction. The market offers many variations of catadioptric devices. The thing that is common is impressive portability. These units are surprisingly durable and should serve for decades. Many come with a lifetime warranty.
3. It Takes Little or No Installation
The amazing thing about compact telescopes is that they don’t come with harsh setup requirements. You’ll get clear instructions with the product. The entire assembly process will take a few minutes.
A telescope learning curve isn’t demanding either. You can choose between equatorial and alt-az mounts. The latter is short for altitude-azimuth. It’s simple to use because it reminds you of moving a photographer’s tripod.
The equatorial mount gives you huge freedom to track objects as they move. It will take a bit of practice. These telescopes are better since they offer more options for observations. It’s exciting to follow objects as they move in the sky. That’s what makes this system worth learning.
4. Perfect for Bright Planets and Lunar Eclipses
Scientists believe that Jupiter has approximately 79 moons. They often change configuration and position but remain fascinating to observe. A compact telescope allows you to see the planet and its satellites dancing together. You’ll also enjoy viewing other bright objects, such as Venus in its crescent phase.
Lunar eclipses don’t happen frequently. A small device will ensure you enjoy observing this phenomenon. The compactness finds that balance between binoculars and large telescopes. Even on regular nights, you’ll love watching the Moon glide across the sky.
5. You Can Observe More Than Space
If you mention a telescope to an amateur, they immediately think to look at the sky. But these units also serve for terrestrial observations. If you don’t want to watch the Solar System anymore, how about shifting your focus? You can choose a distant area on Earth and observe it with your device.
During the product selection process, read the description carefully. The chosen telescope should be suitable for terrestrial observations and astronomy. Although most units fit those requirements, it’s better to confirm.
6. The Size Can Affect the Price
A small telescope utilizes the same components as large units. Manufacturing compact-sized lenses are less expensive than making big ones. That’s why you could benefit from a lower price in entry-level units.
The cost will depend on many factors. Features like aperture and magnification can increase the price tag. A reputable brand’s products could be more expensive than average.
A small telescope provides excellent performance for its size. It’s great for a beginner’s first step into the world of terrestrial observation and astronomy. These units are easy to install and simple to move.
The market offers many different types and models. The only thing you need is to pick a suitable product. A compact-sized telescope guarantees incredible fun for the entire family. It maintains an affordable price, which makes it a smart investment!